MORTGAGE ASSISTANCE AND MiMORTGAGE RELIEF PARTNERSHIP
Shelby State Bank is actively working with homeowners affected by the COVID-19 pandemic to preserve their homeownership, their credit, and their peace of mind during difficult financial times.
Since the coronavirus pandemic began affecting jobs and household incomes, Shelby State Bank has been working cooperatively with mortgage customers whose ability to pay has been impacted due to circumstances way beyond their control. Our lenders are compassionate to care like a neighbor, and consultative to help homeowners navigate their individual needs for the best possible outcome.
Now the State of Michigan has launched the MiMortgage Relief Partnership towards the same goals, and Shelby State Bank is gladly participating.
Here are the basics of the program, with additional details further down the page:
- Providing affected borrowers with a 90-day grace period for all mortgage payments
- Providing affected borrowers with a 90-day relief period from mortgage-related late fees and charges
- Providing affected borrowers with a 60-day shelter period on new foreclosures
- Refraining from reporting adverse credit scoring information based on borrower's request for relief
- Working with affected borrowers on specific needs or concerns
If you are experiencing a financial hardship due to COVID-19, we encourage you to reach out to us to learn more about the relief options available to you.
- Contact Rick Miszewski at (231) 861-2123
It is very important that you communicate with us so we can craft a formal agreement* to protect you during this time.
Contact us today!
The MiMortgage Relief Partnership was passed by the Michigan legislature, signed into law by Governor Gretchen Whitmer, and is supervised by the Michigan Department of Insurance and Financial Services (DIFS). The goal is to assist customers to ensure that no one experiencing financial hardship due to COVID-19 will lose their home during this health and economic crisis.
90-Day Grace Period for Mortgage Payments: This forbearance allows affected borrowers to reduce or delay their monthly mortgage payment upon reaching an agreement with us*. We will:
- Provide a streamlined process for requesting forbearance for COVID-19 related reasons, supported with available documentation
- Confirm approval and terms of the forbearance program which will include reasonable solutions for resuming payments at the end of the forbearance term
- Where appropriate, provide the opportunity for borrowers to extend a forbearance agreement if they continue to experience hardship due to COVID-19
90-Day Relief from Mortgage-Related Late Fees: This waives or refunds mortgage-related late fees or charges for at least 90 days for affected borrowers who reach an agreement with us*.
60-Day Foregoing of New Foreclosures: For affected borrowers who reach an agreement with us*, Shelby State Bank will not initiate any foreclosure sales or evictions.
Reporting Relief: We will not report adverse credit scoring information based upon the accessing of relief for affected borrowers who reach an agreement with us*.
Specific Needs: Issues surrounding escrow and tax and insurance payments may require individualized assistance, and we pledge to work with you personally to address these needs in the spirit of the partnership.
Notes from DIFS:
- "Michigan residents who can meet their financial obligations can continue to do so."
- "Borrowers are encouraged to reach out before their loan becomes delinquent."
- "DIFS never advises borrowers to stop paying their loan payments."
- For more information, call DIFS toll-free at 877-999-6442.
*You will see a phrase repeatedly in the provisions of this program: "affected borrowers who reach an agreement with us." It is very important that we formally draft an agreement in order to extend this relief to you! If you have been affected financially by this crisis, please make it a priority to contact us today.